Pages

Sunday 7 October 2012

They are re-paving Bower Hill

Hurray!  They are re-paving Bower Hill.

Bower Hill, Woodstock


It's the highest and toughest hill near here.  I have to cross it on the way to Woodstock.  The western approach is fine, with a mild rolling hills leading to the crest.  The eastern side, coming up from Woodstock is murder.  It's a series of steep inclines that really demand an effort.  Going down it on the way into Woodstock has been a nightmare with the pavement massively crumbling for most of the distance.  

Bower Hill stripped for paving
I got there last week to find it torn up into gravel.  It's going to be nice to have this paved and smooth.  It's a pity they took away the speed warning gizmo.  I will be easily able to break the 50 kph trip setting that it was on.  With the crumbled pavement, I had to really take it slow for the descent.

Saturday was cold.  I was well layered, but my feet went numb after the sun went behind all the clouds.  It could be my last long ride out of doors for the year. 

There's good hills around here

At packet-pickup in Milton, I gave the Running Free store a quick browse and came away with $150 of stuff.  It's my first set of photochromic sunglasses.  I've needed a pair since my ride to Port Dover in the summer, during which I lost my sunglasses when I took them off for the trail through the woods.  They don't have a rim, which has been hard to find.  I want that for riding so the rim doesn't block my view with my head down when I'm on the aero bars.
  

1 comment:

  1. Love when they re-pave a favorite bike route! Awesome.

    Let me know how you like the glasses! I have looked at those before...curious about how you like them.

    ReplyDelete