Pages

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Riding in the rain

It's been such nice weather all summer, that I almost forgot what it's like to ride in the rain.  I think this is the first time it's happened on my racing bike that I've been caught in a downpour.  This fall, I kept thinking it would be the last of the weekend rides, and then another patch of warm weather would arrive.  I've seen enough overcast days stay dry that I tend to head out anyway and let the rain come as it will.  

Rainy day


The week after the rainstorm, i was an hour from home and went over some twigs on the road and got a flat.  Changing it out was also a first for my racing bike.  The wheel came and tire came off super easy.  It fitted the replacement tube in, and had a problem.  The short valve stem just barely extend out of the aerodynamic wheel rim.  That's a slight problem with my floor pump, but a complete showstopper with the mini pump that I ride with.  I couldn't get it far enough over the valve to pump.  My spouse was away shopping, so phoning for a pick up wasn't going to work.  I ended up calling a cab for a $50 fare back to the house.  It took him 20 minutes to find me.  While riding, my skimpy outfit is suitable enough.  I wear tights since they're breathable.  The bib shorts would be too cold with my legs exposed.  In about 10 minutes I had some fine shivering happening as I waited at the side of the road.  At least I wasn't wet with sweat or rain.

Oh drat, got a flat

No comments:

Post a Comment